Gas hub in Turkey, grain deal, NPP construction. What Putin and Erdogan talked about

13 October 2022

The idea of creating a gas hub in Turkey, the possibility of building another nuclear power plant in Sinop and support for agreements to export grain from Ukraine across the Black Sea were the topics of talks between Russian and Turkish Presidents Vladimir Putin and Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Astana.

In the open part of the talks on the margins of the Conference on Interaction and Confidence-Building Measures in Asia (CICA) summit taking place in the capital of Kazakhstan, the two heads of state noted the high level of relations and stated their intention to expand cooperation in the energy sector.

The presidents of both countries did not discuss the situation in Ukraine separately in the open session.

TASS collected the main topics of the talks.

Regularity of contacts

Putin pointed out that his contacts with Erdogan remain regular, "despite all the difficulties related to sanitary and political restrictions," and "this gives good results."

Grain deal

The Russian president pointed to Turkey's role in securing a deal to export grain from Ukraine: "Thanks to your efforts, Mr. President, we are implementing the deal," Putin said. - "Those countries that receive this product should be grateful to you for that."

For his part, Erdogan confirmed Ankara's intention "to provide assistance both for continuing the existing grain corridor deal and for exporting food and fertilizers from Russia" to the world's poorest countries. "If we implement this, we can change the balance in favor of the poorer countries," the Turkish president believes. - "Our joint steps will worry some circles and some countries, but we are committed to it."

Gas hub

The Russian president recalled the idea of creating a gas hub in Turkey - "of course, this would also be a platform not only for supplies, but also for price determination, because this is a very important issue - the issue of pricing." "Today these prices are exorbitant, we could calmly regulate [them] at a normal market level, without any political coloration," Putin noted.

The Russian leader considers Turkey "the most reliable route for gas supplies to Europe," and this was made possible "thanks to Erdogan's firm position" on the construction of the Turkish Stream pipeline. "Although, as you heard, they also tried to blow it up on the territory of the Russian Federation," Putin reminded. - "Thank God this didn't happen and the pipeline is successfully operating."

Cooperation in the nuclear power sector

The Akkuyu nuclear power plant being built in Turkey by Russian specialists is likely to be commissioned on time for the 100th anniversary of the Republic of Turkey in 2023. About 20,000 people are at the site, and "the work is going according to plan," Putin noted. "We are on schedule," he stressed.

Erdogan, meanwhile, pointed out that he had discussed with the Russian leader the construction of a second nuclear power plant on the Black Sea coast - in Sinop. "If such a step is taken, it will have a serious impact. The Akkuyu nuclear power plant will cover 10 percent of our electricity needs, and with the nuclear power plant in Sinop we will be able to cover another 10 percent. The total will be 20 percent," the Turkish president explained.



GSV "Russia - Islamic world"

Photo: official website of the President of the Russian Federation

Based on materials from TASS