Foreign Ministry condemns mass murder in Burkina Faso

09 June


Moscow strongly condemns the mass murder in Burkina Faso and calls for stepping up joint efforts by the world community to combat international terrorism, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.


It was reported earlier that gunmen attacked a village in northern Burkina Faso on Saturday. About 170 people were killed in the attack, according to the latest reports. A three-day mourning period was declared in the country.


"Moscow strongly condemns this inhuman bloody crime and expresses the hope that its organizers and perpetrators will be severely and deservedly punished. Once again, we call for the intensification of coordinated efforts of the world community in the fight against international terrorism," the Ministry said in a statement published on its website.


"In this difficult hour, we stand in solidarity with the people and government of Burkina Faso, we sympathize with the grief of the relatives and friends of the victims, we wish the wounded a speedy recovery," the Russian Foreign Ministry stressed.


The regions in northern Burkina Faso on the border with Niger and Mali have been most affected by the attacks of al-Qaeda* and IS* (terrorist groups banned in the Russian Federation) fighters. An increase in armed attacks on civilians since 2015 has forced authorities to evacuate some villages in the region.

 

 

GSV "Russia - Islamic World"

Photo: Russian Foreign Ministry

Based on materials from RIA Novosti