OSCE urges Azerbaijan and Armenia to start a meaningful dialogue

12 January


The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe calls on Baku and Yerevan to refrain from the use of force and start a meaningful dialogue, press secretary of OSCE Chairman-in-Office Zbigniew Rau, second secretary of the Polish Permanent Mission to the Organization Bartosz Kempinski told Armenpress.


Earlier on Tuesday, the Armenian Defense Ministry reported about three Armenian soldiers who were killed on the border as a result of Azerbaijani shootings. According to the ministry, two more servicemen were wounded. The defense ministry also said the Azerbaijani side used artillery and drones in the shelling.


"We are closely monitoring the situation in the South Caucasus. We call on Azerbaijan and Armenia to refrain from using force and to start a meaningful dialogue to resolve the dispute over Nagorno-Karabakh. Poland, as the OSCE Chairman-in-Office, intends to work with partners to renew and strengthen our efforts to ensure peace and sustainable development in the region," the agency quotes the Polish representative.


He also expressed his support to the efforts of the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.


At the end of September 2020, the hostilities resumed in Nagorno-Karabakh, which became the continuation of the conflict lasting many years and resulted in casualties among civilians as well. The parties made several attempts to conclude a cease-fire, but the trilateral agreement reached on the night of November 10 was successful. With Moscow's mediation, Azerbaijan and Armenia agreed to a complete cease-fire, to hold their positions and to exchange prisoners and bodies. In addition, Baku transferred Kelbajar and Lachin districts, as well as part of the Agdam district, which during the interwar period were under the control of the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. Russian peacekeepers have been stationed in the region, including the Lachin corridor.

 

 

GSV "Russia - Islamic World"

Photo: Ministry of Defense of Armenia

Based on materials from RIA Novosti