Moscow condemns the attacks in three villages in northeast Burkina Faso, which killed more than 20 civilians, and expects the perpetrators to be brought to justice. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation said this in a statement distributed on Friday.
"We strongly condemn this terrorist action. We hope that the perpetrators of this brutal crime will be established and will receive deserved punishment. We express our deep condolences to the government of Burkina Faso, relatives and friends of the victims," the ministry said.
They drew attention to the fact that the government had already sent security forces and military personnel to conduct a special operation of cleansing from extremists who "committed a barbaric raid against civilians.
Attacks of terrorists took place on October 14. Besides the dead, there are wounded and missing persons.
During the last two years, Burkina Faso has turned into an epicenter of terrorist activity of Islamist groups in West Africa. During the first six months of this year, 531 people died in the country from terrorist activity, according to data from the South African Institute of international relations. Two terrorist groups are operating in the eastern and northeastern parts of the country: "Islamic State in the Great Sahara" (ISGS, part of the extremist organization "Islamic State" banned in Russia) and "Ansar ul-Islam".
GSV "Russia - Islamic World"
Photo: Creative Commons
Based on materials from TASS