The United States intends to prevent the lifting of the embargo on arms supplies to Iran, which expires in mid-October, US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said this in an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt on Friday.
"Right now we are fighting a battle in the UN," he said. - The previous US administration said that in five years, the Iranians would be able to buy weapons from China and Russia, and that they would be able to sell weapons systems, which will enrich the kleptocrats and theocrats in Iran. If the US does not take action, it may happen on October 18. We do not intend to allow this to happen."
According to the US Secretary of State, the US position is supported by the states of the Persian Gulf region. In addition, he added, " other countries privately tell the US that they are following the right course." "Russia and China have chosen a different course," he said , "and they want to arm Iran, which threatens the peoples of the Middle East and Europe."
In early August, the United States, again accusing Iran of violating the nuclear deal, announced its intention to restore UN sanctions against Tehran under the procedure provided for in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). Washington withdrew from it in 2018. On August 20, Pompeo personally transmitted the relevant request from the American side to the Chairman of the UN Security Council. The Russian Foreign Ministry has previously stated that the US initiative is illegal and "will inevitably fail".
GSV "Russia - Islamic World"
Photo: Russian Foreign Ministry
Based on materials from TASS